Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Growing in Unity Day 2:

Welcome Unity peeps!  Did we survive Monday with a limp or a gallop?  Did any of you need a little Unity Retail therapy to get you through the day?! If so, I'd love to hear what you bought!

Today's comparison centers around supplies you use more for mix media techniques than card for coloring!  Chalk Pastels, Oil Pastels, and Gelatos.



Unity Stamp:
Beginnings & Growth 

Paper: 
Kraft cardstock-  I wanted to use a type of paper that had a bit of a "tooth" to it.  To make sure this creamy style pigment would grab onto the paper.





Color Mediums-
  • Chalk Pastel- Chalk is an easy way to add pigment onto colored cardstalk.  It blends colors together smoothly.   The softness in appearance is similar to the watercolor looks we went after yesterday, but the opacity makes the coloring stand out on the darker background.  Chalk is easy to apply.  I just used a q-tip.  Sure you could use your finger, but if you color with orange you may mistake the residue on your finger for Cheeto dust.  And trust me, been there.. done that.... Does NOT taste like Cheeto dust!  Let me say also, mistakes are very easy to rub away with a simple eraser.  The downside to using chalk is that you can only add so many layers of pigment before the paper looses its grip and it will no longer add any more color. Mixing colors to create new hues is not possible, unless you crush the pigments together and blend by regrinding the chalk. You can layer colors one on top of the other, but you cant recreate new colors and apply.  (I would love to name new colors for finger nail polish wouldn't you?  What color do you think "Day Old Hangover" would be?)

  • Oil Pastel- This is also fun medium to color images with. Similar to the Chalk, but the pigment is much richer. Standard Oil Pastels do not react with water.  Adding pigments to smaller spaces is a bit of a challenge, but is possible with a small brush or a fine tipped applicator. You can create smooth textures and shadows by just blending colors together.  The downside to using Oil pastel crayons is the colors can smear out of place if you are not careful.  Oil is non reactive with water, so any texture you achieve is based on how much pigment you initially apply.  A simple gentle swipe of the pastel will give you a dry brush effect.  Whereas adding a heavy layer will give the color a solid appearance. The biggest negative quality to the oil pastel, is permanency.  Once you lay down pigment, it's there. No erasing mistakes. And girls, let me say. I make enough mistakes that will live on FOR- EVER.  I need to eliminate all the little ones I can!

  • Gelatos /watercolor crayons /or water reactive oil pastels - Most watercolor crayons are water reactive, says so right in their name.  However, for this demonstration, I only used the pigment dry.  I smudged the color on selectively, and filled the image in using a Q-tip. Similar to the oil based pastels, the application can be a bit tricky in small spaces, but the pigment is easy to move around.  If you use Gelatos and add water, the luminosity onto straight kraft cardstock does diminish considerably, that is why I like this technique in its dry form. One plus to this medium is you can erase mistakes by diluting with water.  (*Pay attention, some brands are more glittery, while you can "erase the pigment' the glitter remains.)  In a dry application, backgrounds are more challenging.  I'm sure it's user error for me.  But, I found the dry use of the pigment to be splotchy.  
Final results- Can you tell which medium I used on which card?  

Top- Chalk pastel
Middle- Gelatos
Bottom- Oil pastel.

Do you think this was a fair assessment?    What is your experience with these supplies?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Unless you disagree with me, and then, you know..go lick some chalk pastels, and keep your opinions to yourself!  LOL.

Don't forget to comment to be entered into the drawing on Saturday for a Unity prize! 2 people will be selected to received some yummy Unity goodness!  

See you tomorrow!
-A

34 comments:

  1. Out of your three media today, I've only used oil pastels, and they are better for bigger projects, I would say. On the topic of retail therapy, I've got the cluster bundle headed my way, as well as some Angie girls and quotes that I just had to have!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all three, but it seems the oil pastels are more vibrant than the gelato or chalks. I have only used the chalk, but would love a chance to use the gelato or oil pastel. Love the name of blog.. Thanks for sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I love your card design. Second, I guessed all wrong. I've used oil,pastels and chalks, although my oil pastels are water soluable, so does that make them gelatos? Anyway, you are inspiring me to re-try some of my coloring mediums. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I love all three of them with so beautiful! I also feel that #3 is the most vibrant of them all. I have not used these techniques. But have inspired me thank you. Can't wait for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the effect of the color on the kraft background! beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to give my oil pastels a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this set of cards and all the different stuff used

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! I haven't used chalk in ages. Inspiration has been launched!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, you are a terrible influence on me because these are all lovely (especially on kraft) and I want it all. I don't have oil pastels or gelatos but I think I have some old chalk pastels in the basement. I have to be satisfied with digging those out instead of buying the other two. That way I can buy more Unity stamps!

    Seriously though, this is a great series. I am really enjoying it and learning lots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. gonna dig out my crayons for these...and I have this stamp set yahoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hace only used SU watercolor crayons so i cant tell you about the other two types. I always forget that i can use kraft colored paper. I am usually a wgite cardstock type of girl

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a fascinating post for me because I have only used Gelatos and not the other coloring media. You mentioned about the smearing aspect of the oil pastels. Is that a problem with your finished product? That seems a little risky to me. Is there a way to set it?

    I love the look you got with the chalk on the kraft! I think I have an old pan of art chalks I got at a yard sale. I might have to give that a try. You can set those with hairspray, I think.

    Thanks for another great comparison post. I love those succulents!!
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janice- I have not had any issues with the Oil pastels smearing. The biggest issue I found was having the pastel smear together. I found you need to just be careful layering colors over each other. But, I used them in such quantity, that smearing after the work is complete doesn't seem to be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't tried chalk yet - usually stick to Prisamacolor pencils and watercolor pencils. Cute card. Kraft cardstock in my go to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You most certainly have a wealth of knowledge where all this is concerned. I know very little and have used very little! Thanks for broadening my horizons a bit today. Might even get bold and try some :) Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Daisy Do!! That's helpful info. Hugs!
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never tried chalk - thanks for showcasing this, and more! Great projects today!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome cards, awesome post! I am really enjoying your liveliness & fun.
    And yay me - I guessed correctly today (I'm sure it's because I've used
    chalks and gelatos before!).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful cards! The oil pastels seem to give the most vibrant color of them all. I have gelatos, but have only used them on my stamps, then spritzed and stamped. I guess I need to get them out again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. More great cards. I do enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I only have watercolor crayons in my arsenal at the moment but I think I will be adding the other two soon! Lovely cards.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have not used any of these mediums so this was very interesting to read. You make it very easy to understand similarities and differences. Beautiful cards, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love showing how the different types of coloring come out. I always wonder how mine would look different, if I used something else, but don't usually take the time to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never thought about using my oil pastels (ordry/chalk pastels!) when making cards. I love your comparisons, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have chalks in my supplies I need to work with those again. I love your use of the gelatos I have some watercolor crayons from a few years ago that I love. Looks like I'm gonna have to dig those out and start using them on my stamping.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You crack me up. I love the watercolor crayons and gelatos. I can control watercolor crayons fairly well but gelatos I just use for loose backgrounds. Again, the humor in your post cracks me up. Thanks for making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had never heard of Gelatos. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Never used any of these mediums but the cards are great, however you coloured them. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Look at the hilights you achieved on your images! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love these...very informative ....now if I can just stop laughing about the cheetos!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This makes me want to try my gellatos again. I got them almost 2 years ago and have not had very much success on being happy with their application on my projects. This gives me hope and an excuse to "keep practicing"!

    ReplyDelete
  32. And I thought it was just my cheetos that tasted bad...hmmm...anyway you are very encouraging and I am so in love with your coloring and UNITY!

    ReplyDelete