Monday, February 27, 2017

Growing in Unity Day 1:

I'm so excited to get started with Day One of being a Growing in Unity Girl! I am beyond honored that I was selected.  Sure, I raised my hand when no one else was looking, but the feeling is the same! However, reality hit pretty hard about 2 minutes after I got the call up and quite a bit of panic set in. Now what are you going to show them?!  Seriously, the only sound I heard for a good 30 seconds was the noise that the old school dial up internet made when you first connected.  (If you do not distinctly remember that sound we can never be friends.. you are too dang young).

Once the fog cleared from my brain, I realized I wanted to showcase how I color my Unity Stamps. Then my brain went to which method?!  Copics, Pit Pens, Distress inks, colored pencils, watercolors...... the possibilities for coloring Unity Stamps are endless. Therefore, my goal this week is to walk you through the different types of coloring mediums. Not necessarily a coloring tutorial, but more comparing and contrasting the end result.  I'll try and compare supplies apples to apples, but I might mix a pineapple in there just because I can.  If you have specific questions how I colored something or which specific supplies I used, I'll be more than happy to answer them.  I am no way claiming to be an expert on coloring, but I can answer some general questions to set you on the right path.





Unity Stamps:

Paper- it's all about the paper.  Ok, it's some about the paper, some about the medium, a lot about your technique.  Really, I don't know the rations exactly; and I could be talking out my keister here. (Now is a good time to say "Bless her heart ". ) Using the correct type of paper for a specific medium is critical for the result, I do believe that.  Not as much as I believe in Santa Claus, but enough to write about it here.

  • Markers used on smooth cardstock
  • Water mediums- 140 lb Cold press paper


 Mediums to compare today-
  • Alcohol Markers
  • Watercolor 
  • Water Soluble ink pencil

 As you can see.  Easy type of medium gave a different appearance.  Can you tell which one is which?




Color Mediums:

Alcohol Markers are definitely easier to control.  The color of the pigment is easy to blend.  But, they don't necessarily give you the translucency that watercolor provides.  Generally speaking, once you lay down your color it takes a bit of effort using a blending pen to "erase" any mistakes. Consistency in the amount of color that is released is an asset here. The color will be the same if you lay down a layer of ink now, or you come back two days from now.  You can achieve some great effects using the blending pen, or just simple rubbing alcohol. I'll be honest, you are going to lay down a good bit of ink to get a smooth background.  That can be a challenge even for the skilled artist.

Watercolor is great for laying down layers and layers of translucent pigment.  The process takes a bit more time, because you have to wait for each layer to dry.  Correcting mistakes is much easier to manage (at least while the paint is still wet). Background are so easy to achieve with a few swipes of a paint brush. Water control is your biggest challenge here.  Too much water and you dilute the pigment, too little and the color balance is off.  Maintaining consistent color blends can be difficult.  
However, the versatility of watercolor is unmatched.  Strong vibrant colors, cool soft colors all can be achieved by the amount of water you use! Most people will tell you watercolor has a mind of its own You decide if that's a pro or a con!

Water Soluble Ink Pencils are the easiest to use out of these three.  Just like a colored pencil. Great for getting into tight spaces, or use on small images.  Can be used dry or wet.  But, the pigment is more difficult to control when wet, and once the ink dries, there is no correcting mistakes. Furthermore, there isn't a lot of erasing the pencil marks prior to the ink being activated.  So, maybe not your best choice after a glass of wine or two.. (I don't judge drinking and coloring activities- just know you have to have a steady hand while in use! ) Personally, I have a limited palette, but just through layering, I was able to achieve similar results.   The water soluble ink takes more practice to mix multiple colors together, ( you have to mix them wet on a non-porous surface first). Then there are all of the challenges associated with water control.  Creating smooth background requires a bit of practice to avoid any splotchiness.

Which method do you prefer?  Do you need to run out an get a new coloring implement?  Or do you have something in your stash that will give you similar results? 

If you are still unsure which image I colored with which product the answers are as follows:

  • Top- Watercolor
  • Middle- Water Soluble Ink Pencils
  • Bottom- Copic
Which comparisons are we looking at tomorrow?  You better just come back and see!

Don't forget to comment and enter yourself into the drawing for a prize pack from Unity.  2 Winners will be selected from this weeks entries on Saturday.

-A.

50 comments:

  1. The watercolors are my favorites, but I like the effect of each method. I can never get my watercoloring to be that smooth. Also, you are stinking hilarious. I love your writing voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your cards are beautifully colored. thank you for all the ideas.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you compared your mediums - this helps a colouring newbie like me ALOT! Can't wait to see your creations this week!
    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love copics...but recently been giving watercolors another try. A lot of Unity stamps just cry out "watercolor me "!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These comparisons are so helpful. Typically I use Copics, Distress Ink Markers or Tombow markers to color, but I keep reading about all these other options. It makes me wonder if I need to venture out from what I have. Thanks for sharing a full description of some of these options. I also like how you are talking to your girlfriends on your blog. Keep it real!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for detailing coloring options. Very informative. Helps me decide which option will work best for different applications.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually use copics but I just now have a complete set of Inktense pencils, so guess what I'm trying next?! Great looking cards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you showed how each technique can create a different look

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them all. I like to start with watercolor and then punch up the contrast with ink. I don't have any of the ink pencils. Of course that doesn't mean I don't want them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I guessed wrong. lol But since I'm not much of a colorer, that's to be expected. lol I like the one done with the Copics best because the color is bold & crisp. And your design is darling. Looking forward to your GIU week of fun inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome post showing the differences between coloring mediums! :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute cards. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your creations this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the approach to show and compare coloring media. Very interesting. Love the card design... either coloring look good. No right or wrong; they are all just different. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how I wish you would do a guest spot Facebook Live for Unity! You had me laughing like crazy! Can you do a video for your blog? Oh, and I liked your information. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  15. I usually use Copics and watercolor pencils/crayons. It is so nice to see the same projects using different mediums yo compare apples to apples.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome. I switch between copics & watercolors. I get so frustrated trying to remember which inks to stamp with for each different medium. I would love to find a good black ink that I would use for alcohol ink and watercolor

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your shading is wonderful. I have never used a combo of pens, pencils, etc. before. NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very lovely your cards today thanks for sharing with us all! Also thanks for sharing a stamp that I haven't seen before. Can't wait to see what you will bring tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the comparison! (and beautiful work, as always!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. A lovely image and card x 3. I like the depth of colour with the copics but I'm not rushing out to buy any. Thanks for the comparisons. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it all....I'm just getting started....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute card. I like water color....you are a great writer. Like you are chatting with a friend lol...great blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute card. I like water color....you are a great writer. Like you are chatting with a friend lol...great blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL! I was a little confused and thought your bio was on a different post. So to comment about what you shared, I was surprised that I missed which were colored by Copics. I have Copic Markers and even though I'm not great at coloring I like using them. I however have not experimented much with water color but after seeing several posts on Unity Show & Tell on FB I'm going to give that a whirl! You do beautiful work. Thank you for sharing your creativity, experience and a bit of your life with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So much fun to read your bio and look at your cards,They are all beautiful!!
    can't wait till tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your cards! Fun reading about you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very nice thanks for the comparisons! I generally use colored pencils and gamasol.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful card and thanks for the coloring comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this!!! All three are beautifully colored! My favorite was the watercolor medium. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this!!! All three are beautifully colored! My favorite was the watercolor medium. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are so stinkin funny. Loved reading your write up on your project. What a great idea you had on the contrast of coloring!! Brilliant!! Thanks for the info. The stamp you used is one of my favorites.
    Paula driver

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the image and the info you provided. I guessed right, by the way -haha. I like all of these mediums and it really depends on the look I'm going for as to which one I choose. Copics are my favorite though.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful job! Thank you for the info on different types of coloring mediums. I really struggle to find the right balance in my coloring. Shading is really difficult. I also struggle with that inner voice that says everything had tho be colored in...no blank spaces. ��

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for the rundown on these different mediums. I have some alcohol markers (which I really stink at using!), am trying to learn water coloring because I love the look, but Copics and the like are completely out of my skill level! I basically have stuck with my plain Crayola colored pencils! I love your cards, that stamp is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like how you can achieve a different look / feel with each technique.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely cards.....enjoy the comparisons

    ReplyDelete
  37. Is it my computer having one of its "not playing well with others" days or is it your blog?? (Bless its heart!) I can't seem to pull up your posts individually...except for your wonderful initial intro post! I can pull up the comments links on your other daily posts, but not the whole post by clicking the title. Weird. Oh, well....no worries. I can comment blind. :)

    Your comparison of the coloring media is really great. I am a novice colorist, but I really love my Faber-Castell watercolor pencils. I am still getting acquainted with my Spectrum Noirs, but they are fun to use, too. My biggest problem in coloring is remembering to use durable paper when I stamp an image so I don't get a bunch of pilling. Ugh.

    Love your colorful and whimsical mushrooms and snails. Great job!!!
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely cards and thanks for the comparisons.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love this set and how you have used them! I did pretty well at guessing which medium for each. I love to color and use each of these techniques depending on time and travel (I stamp images and take them with me when I got out of town for work). TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  40. These comparisons are great...and I adore this stamp, love mushrooms and snails! :D I'll have to snag this stamp now!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've owned water color pencils for years and I'm so glad that after watching Whitney and Angela use them in their videos that I was finally brave enough to use them. I am loving them! I also got a set of Copics for Christmas, and I'm slowly learning how to use those I love seeing the differences in how it looks. Thank you for showing how the three different techniques worked.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for all the good info. I should know better than read things like this on my lunch hour. I want to go home right now and craft!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Seeing all of your intros to different coloring techniques is fantastic! I think these cards are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  44. These are the 3 mediums that are my "go-to's" on my cards. I still have learned a couple of new things from your post and look forward to reading the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your approach to being a GIU girl is so interesting and fun! Love what you're doing this week and love your humourous style! Fabulous job with all three cards...so fun and bright... I love how the mushrooms just "pop" off the card! My favorite is the Copic card ... bright and vivid!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I swear I left a comment here earlier this week but darn if I see it now. I love your post... your humor... and your know how. And now I must go buy this stamp. Dang you!!!

    ReplyDelete